Window From Nowhere, To Everywhere



Laying in my bed then suddenly I recognize a familiar tune. Its none other than the ice cream truck. I think "at this time of the year?" "In this weather?" and then I remember its almost june, then I look out my window and see that its very nice weather. I've been in my room so much, boxed in my four walls of solitude and comfort, that I lose grasp that there is an outside world.


Living is happening out there, something I may never truly experience. About a month ago I got a random call from a friend, we chatted for awhile about all kinds of silly things. It was nice. He eventually started telling me about another friend of his, V, they've been friends since before we met. He tells me V has basically given up on life, plays MMO games all day, rarely leaves the house, has incredibly poor hygiene, accepts he'll be alone forever, no career prospects, no significant other, nothing. And he doesn't care anymore. He is in his mid 40s. I couldn't help but notice at least a few parallels.


One of my favorite shows of all time is King Of Queens, it aired the entire length of middle school and highschool. One of the reoccurring characters is named Spence, semi-stereotypical nerd. I like him, but he had his short comings. He worked as a subway token seller, he lived with his mom (before moving into an apartment with a roommate), and was single. He was 35 in the show. Growing up I always thought as bad as it may get I hope I don't end up like Spence.  I'm 34 now and Spence had a lot more going for him than me. He did eventually move out, he drove, he worked, he dated, HE hung out with friends, he had hobbies, he lived.

That's it. That's the post.


Popular posts from this blog

Loose Skin

Extraction

Mental Illness & Obesity, Seems One Is Getting The Best Of Me

Archive

Show more